Obesity: It's Complicated! Summit
May 9, 2018, 8 am - 12:30 pm
Obesity: It’s Complicated!
We all pay the tab for obesity. How are we tackling obesity in the workplace?
Groups as diverse as Forbes, Commonwealth Fund and the National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions note that obesity (which continues to rise in the U.S.), is NOT just a major public health threat along the lines of the opioid epidemic, but also a huge economic problem for employers and insurance payers.
Obesity is linked to at least 60 chronic diseases that significantly increase medical costs of employer-sponsored benefits, and are leading to substantial economic losses for business--up to $147 billion nationally.
Yet New Mexico employers, providers and health plans are making strides, often collaboratively, in tackling obesity. Join us at the upcoming free, half-day Obesity: It's Complicated! Summit, hosted by the New Mexico Coalition for Healthcare Value, to hear from and discuss with national and local healthcare, industry, and insurance experts the current challenges and promising preventive and treatment solutions in the state.
Please note--registration is free, due to a grant from the National Alliance of Healthcare Purchasers Coalitions, but seating is limited! Please register now!
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Credits Now Available
BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION
Mark your calendars for:
Obesity: It’s Complicated!
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Albuquerque International Balloon Museum
8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Preliminary Agenda (April 25,2018)
OBESITY: IT’S COMPLICATED
8:00- 8:30 a.m. Registration, Networking, Breakfast
8:30-8:35 a.m. Welcome and Introductions
- Pat Montoya, BSN, MPA, Executive Director, New Mexico Coalition for Healthcare Value
STATEMENT OF THE CURRENT PROBLEM
8:35-9:30 a.m. Prevalence and Impact of Obesity--a Framework for Action
- Bruce Sherman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, National Alliance of Healthcare Purchasers
PROMISING SOLUTION COMPONENTS9:30-10:00 a.m. Utilizing the Power of Lab Data to Drive Improved Health Outcomes
- Kathleen Swanson, M.S., R.Ph., Director, Enterprise Clinical Solutions, TriCore Laboratories
- Joni Pompeo, Director, Strategic Programs and Project Management, TriCore Laboratories
10:00-10:30 a.m. "Real Appeal"
- Timothy Johnson, Vice President, Business Development, United Health Group
10:30-10:45 a.m. Break
10:45-11:00 a.m. Bariatric Surgery
- Tom Rothfeld, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Presbyterian Health Plan
11:00-11:15 a.m. Wellness Program Overview
- Susie MacLean, Vice President, The Solutions Group
- Angela Gallegos-Macias, MD, Medical Director of Family and Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, PMG-Isleta
- Mary Jane Favazza, Chief Revenue Officer, Good Measures
12-00-12:15 p.m. Facilitated Audience Discussion and Response
12:15-12:30 p.m. Follow up and Next steps